Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Haunted Weekend Away?

I have to share my story about the place we stayed this past weekend in Charleston.  First of all, the hubs and I had a fabulous time in Charleston.  We were worried about the weather at first but it ended up being beautiful which were so thankful for since pretty much anytime we try to do anything this summer it rains.  We ate some wonderful food and had a great beach day on Saturday.  Not having to be on a strict schedule and worrying about naps, feedings, etc was absolutely wonderful!  I wish we could get away once a month, ha ha, yeah right!

Now, on to my story...

I mentioned in my previous post that we were staying at The Battery Carriage House Inn in downtown Charleston.  Well I missed the memo that it's supposedly the most haunted inn in SC.  Maybe that's why the rate was so good, ha.  Anyway, we unsuspectingly checked in Friday afternoon without a word from the innkeeper or any signage at all to indicate we were staying at the most haunted inn in SC.  I have to say I was a little disappointed that we weren't actually staying in the big house pictured on the website.  Only the very bottom level is even part of the inn, which I think is false advertising.  Anyway, the innkeeper lead us to the back and up a flight of stairs to our room, #9.  She opened the door and as I walked in I was immediately stricken with what seemed to be a horrible bad mood.  I was instantly disappointed and even suggested to Adam that we go stay at another place (maybe even a hotel) because I didn't have a good feeling about this place.  Adam said I was ridiculous and the room was fine, which it was.  I just chalked up my bad mood to the fact that the room was burning up (the air had not been on and it was 90 and humid as hell outside on Friday), the TV was the size of my iPad, the so-called WiFi wasn't working, there was a funny odor on the bed sheets, and I may have had a touch of PMS.  I decided to rest for a bit and watch the tiny TV and try to feel better about the whole situation.  After some great drinks and a fabulous dinner out, Adam and I came back ready for a good night's sleep.  We were ecstatic about the fact we wouldn't have to wake up early (which I did anyway-darn internal clock!) or deal with the boys.  As per our usual nighttime routine, we turned on the TV and happened upon a show about the Salem Witch Trials (yes, total dorks).  The show, really not that scary, was creeping me out for some reason.  I mean, I was really scared and had a strange feeling.  I honestly can't put my finger on it, but it was enough creepiness that I prayed to God for protection against any evil.  I know I sound ridiculous, but if I get that weird feeling or sense evil I always pray because I am a firm believer in spiritual warfare and demons.  Long story short, it was definitely strange that I was feeling that way and neither Adam nor I slept very well that night.

Since we were staying at a "Bed and Breakfast", we were "supposed" to be served coffee and a light breakfast at the time we specified, 7:30-8:00.  Well being the early bird that I am, I promptly woke at 6:30 and after being unsuccessful at going back to sleep I decided to get up and get ready for a run or walk on the battery after my coffee, which never showed up.  I went downstairs to see if maybe there was some in the lobby (no one around and the door was locked).  This is when I thought it was strange that we had not seen a soul except for the innkeeper upon arrival.  I was very irritated.  I look forward to my coffee first thing in the morning and to completely forget about your guests at a bed and breakfast is ridiculous!  I was really hating this place by now.  On a positive note, Adam and I had a nice walk to Meeting Street and found a wonderful breakfast spot, Toast, which had the best vanilla latte I've ever had.  It ended up being fine, but I was still pissed at the lack of service.  Back to my story...

At breakfast at Toast we both mentioned that we had had crazy dreams the previous night.  Some of which were very morbid.  We both had dreams involving our boys and bad things happening to them and other members of our family.  We decided it was due to the late dinner we had at Hank's and the weird drinks we had for happy hour at Husk Bar.  Then Adam proceeded to mention me poking him in the mouth to get him to stop snoring.  I told him a) I don't remember you even snoring and b) when have I ever poked you in the mouth to get you to stop snoring?  Normally I just elbow him in the ribs or push him over.  I'm such a loving wife, right? ;)  Point is, I would have never poked him the mouth to get him to stop snoring unless I was dreaming and that could have been what happened.  At this point we still had no idea that the place we were staying was supposedly haunted.    

We went on to have a fabulous day at the beach and a nice evening out.  We came back exhausted after a later night out than usual.  Being as tired we were, we had an extremely hard time falling asleep and sleeping.  We both tossed and turned all night.  The dreams were still very strange but not as bad as the night before.  Adam doesn't recall getting poked in the mouth again, ha.  By the way we did get our coffee the next morning.  :)

After a huge breakfast at The Variety Store on the Charleston Marina, we headed home.  Here's where I got just a bit freaked out. I was bored in the car so I started Googling Charleston and some facts about it.  I just love all the history.  Out of curiosity, I Googled the most haunted places in Charleston.  What do you think pops up?  The Dock Street Theater is the most haunted and second most haunted is The Battery Carriage House Inn...what?!!  The place we just stayed?  How could this be?  How did I not know this?  Why didn't anyone tell me?  Why didn't this even cross my mind while we were staying there?  Now you know why my long drawn out account is so strange.  All of these things happened (granted, nothing crazy), but just a little off and weird.  I don't believe in ghosts but I sure as hell (no pun in intended) believe in demons.  Scary, huh?  I really did feel oppressed the entire time I was at the inn.  Like I said before, I was in a weird mood and felt odd.  I went on to read the accounts of people who have stayed at the inn and have had experiences with the supposed 2 ghosts that haunt rooms 8 and 10.  Yep, we were smack dab in the middle of both in room 9.  Awesome.  I was honestly really freaked out by several of the accounts, especially one in which a woman felt weird (sound familiar?) so she started reading her Bible and reciting Psalm 23.  The bad feeling that overcame her made her quit reading and put the Bible away.  Not good!  Like I said I don't believe in ghosts, but I am absolutely sure there was something negative going on in that inn.  I just wanted to share the details of our interesting trip.  Come to your own conclusions about our adventures in historic Charleston.  If nothing else we can say we've stayed at the most haunted inn in SC.





We stayed on the 2nd floor right in between 8 and 10,
the 2 haunted rooms.



View of the back and the gardens




No comments :

Post a Comment