Friday, September 12, 2014

Blondie Thoughts: Being a Boy Mom

As a very girly girl and growing up with predominately girls, I was obviously quite clueless about boys and their antics when I had 2.  As a mom of soon to be 3 boys, I have definitely learned a lot and continue to learn every day.  Here are a few things I've learned about boys in the 2 1/2 years I've been a Mommy.

  • Total destruction is eminent no matter how much you "baby" proof.  They will always find something else to destroy whether it be pulling their diapers off and smearing poop everywhere (see below), trying to pull the blinds down, or shaking the locked closet doors so they can open them and pull everything out.  Everything that used to be in their room that now has to be stored in the closet because they can't handle having anything except their bed stuff, a few toys and books in their room.  Standing on top of their already turned over bookcase to try to swing off the hooks on the back of the door, or using their beds as slides against the dresser and crawling up via the drawers and sliding down is also a fun way to pass the time and NOT sleep.  No matter what you do or what you remove, there is always a way to try to kill themselves or destroy something.
  • Poop is a fun toy that can be smeared all over anything and everything.  Taking diapers off and playing with it is a really fun game!  Now I'm not sure this is a thing for all boys but it definitely is for mine.  I will spare you graphic details but let's just say it has been smeared in every corner and crevice of their room including the ceiling?!  We finally wised up and put them in zip up pj's again and snap bottoms before bed or naps.  Tell me this is a phase that will pass quickly!

  • Penis obsession.  This one is a little hard for me.  No pun intended, well maybe a little ;)  Boys have an obsession with them from birth.  They get erections pretty much from Day 1 and once they discover this wondrous body part, they are forever best friends.  Case in point: We are just in the introductory stages of potty training, and I was sitting with Van while he was trying to go the other day.  He looked up at me and as serious as could be grabbed his "pee pee" and said "Pink" and I said, "Yes."  Then with a little more enthusiasm he looks me squarely in the face and excitedly says, "BIG!"  I lost it.  I bust out laughing!  I mean what do you say to that?  I again said, "Yes Van it's big."  So it starts...

  • Energy energy energy!  They have plenty of it.  There is rarely a still moment.  They are curious about everything and love to be active.  I'm not saying this is a bad thing by any means but it can wear me out!  I try to get us out of the house every morning so the boys can expend their energy elsewhere besides wreaking havoc on the house.  Preschool is the answer.  On the days they aren't in school (if I'm not dead tired), I try to do a fun activity with them whether it be a hike, going to a playground, lunch out, errands, or going to the gym to play.  They love going to the gym thank goodness, so I don't have to feel guilty about that one.  





I can guarantee you I will be able to add to this list in the next few weeks, months, and years.  Boy moms I would love to hear any stories or advice you have.  Because I stay at home, I sometimes feel like I'm alone in this crazy journey so I love to hear other people's stories and ideas.

post signature

No comments :

Post a Comment