Thursday, March 20, 2014

A Nutrition Journey

Yes, I'm aware it's been quite some time since I've posted.  Before I start my rambling I just want to let y'all know the reason I'm doing all of this research and why I care so much.  I don't know if many people even read my blog or care, but I view this as my personal writing space to talk about whatever is on my mind to share which happens to be fitness and nutrition lately...one of my biggest passions in life.  I would love to inspire or help someone in the process.  If you're interested, keep reading!

I am not getting any younger and basically need all the help I can get to have the most energy I can, stay in shape, and feel great.  I want to enable my body to work the best it can for me.  Our bodies are amazing gifts that need to be taken care of.  If we treat them the right way, they will work wonders for us.  I've been trying some different things and have been waiting to see what works and what doesn't.  It's really an ongoing process though.  

  In my initial nutrition post, I talked about wanting to change up my diet and drop a few lbs of fat.  I have made progress by dropping about 3-5 lbs (it fluctuates daily), added a little more muscle, and trimmed a slight bit.  I am still focused on rocking that bikini this summer and feel I have made a good start.  I thought about posting the obligatory before and after photos but am a little nervous about doing so.  I have mixed feelings about those but do understand why people do it.  I dunno...we will see.  Having said that I have been torn about several things involving my body lately.  Like I've mentioned before losing a few lbs and toning up is only a part of it for me.  I am still trying to find the right mix of foods, exercise, and supplements to provide me with the best energy, and be in the best shape physically, mentally, and emotionally.  Whew!  That's a lot, right?!  Well guess what?!  It all (well for the most part) has to do with nutrition.
I have been doing a lot of research so that's partly why I haven't posted in a while.  I am learning so many eye opening things that I really want to share my findings in hopes that it might help someone else.  I plan on breaking it down into small segments (that's the plan anyway).  

Let's start here...

I am by no means a nutrition expert nor do I have any degrees or certifications in nutrition (although I would like to), so everything I'm going to post is information I have gathered through my own research, reading, and experience.

I left off last time by adding daily 4 veggies, 2 fruits, and more protein to my diet.  I still have a hard time sticking to a hardcore "clean" diet but make sure I am eating all of the above.  I immediately noticed a difference.  I mean it really is amazing what a few florets of broccoli and some spinach will do for ya.  I actually crave my veggies now.  If I don't get my 4 servings in, I am ready to slam some the next day.  The protein thing is a little harder for me.  More on that later though.  Bottom line it has helped me to research and learn why we need to eat certain things and what those things do for your body to keep me on track.  After reading another book and researching a little more, I feel I have a better concept and grasp of nutrition as a whole.  

Sidenote:  I'm currently reading The Body Book by Cameron Diaz.  I wasn't expecting too much, but it has really put a lot of things in perspective.  I would highly recommend it.  It's a lot of stuff I already know but she does a great job of putting it all together to make perfect sense.


After all I've researched, all I really need to say is to eat clean whole foods, which is what we all already knew, right?  It's that simple.  Think farm to table.  The less your food has been touched since coming from the farm the better.  That cuts out processed foods, fast food, and a lot of what we eat.  So simple yet so hard!! We're all busy busy busy so that's how we've gotten away from eating clean in the first place.  That's where planning and prep come into play.  Since it's nearly impossible to get all the vitamins and minerals we need in a day, supplements can help fill the void.  Both topics which I will tackle in future posts.

I just wanted to give an overview today and plan to go more in depth on some things I've discovered in future posts.
Here's to healthy bodies, minds, and souls!

xoxo
Sarah Marie


No comments :

Post a Comment