Friday, May 24, 2013

31...Now What?

Today I turn 31.  For some reason this birthday is hitting me a lot harder than 30 did.  It may be because I was so busy with 2 five month old babies that I didn't have time to process it, ha.  It also may be because I all of a sudden feel all of 31.  I have started noticing lines and wrinkles that didn't used to be there.  My energy levels aren't what they used to be.  The years are going so freakin fast.  I mean, how did I get to be 31?  Insane!  My 20s seem like a blur.  I have decided to make this next year really count.  I am slowly coming out of the baby fog (of course, I don't think that ever fully goes away) where I'm not totally consumed by the survival of 2 baby boys, Adam, and myself.  For me the first year of twins was mainly about survival.  I know that sounds terrible, but it's very true.  I was so worried about when the next feeding was, did they eat enough/too much, how many poops have they had, have they slept enough/not enough, what should they be doing developmentally, are they behind...you get the idea.  These are things that are constantly going through my mind as a mom-crazy, isn't it?  As you can tell, my mind is constantly racing.  I am definitely a Type A person which can be a bad thing sometimes.  

This year I really want to focus on being more in the moment and enjoy every second.  I am bad about focusing on the tasks I have to do and completing them.  I need to slow down and enjoy these precious moments with my boys.  I need to remind myself that the damn laundry can wait, the kitchen doesn't have to be spotless, toys scattered all over the house won't kill me, and putting down the iPad and phone doesn't mean the world is going to end.  Right now being the best Mom I can be to my boys is top priority.  Of course being a good wife is top priority too.  To be honest I need work in both areas.  These first years of the boys' lives are precious, and they will be in Kindergarten before I know it.  I am fortunate enough to be able to stay at home with these little boogers, so I need not take it for granted.  I just need to remind myself to slow down and enjoy. Just to set the record straight, this is the most rewarding but hard ass job ever!  Some days I want to scream and run away, but that's where wine and hard liquor come in, haha.  I'm just waiting for the day Adam comes home to find me with 2 empty wine bottles rocking back and forth on the floor drooling on myself while Mickey Mouse Clubhouse plays in the background for the millionth time.  Ha, totally kidding!  Well...kinda.  

I am excited to celebrate my birthday with my family in Knoxville.  Adam and I get to go out tonight for date night, which I'm ecstatic about!!  My sister and my 3 month old niece (today) will be arriving tomorrow.  I'm so happy the boys get to meet their cousin, and I get to see my sis!  I know it will be a fabulous birthday weekend!
Here's to you 31!

I will leave y'all with a few pics of my fam.







5 comments :

  1. Your boys are cute as ever! I appreciate your attitude, trying to enjoy every moment. They grow up so fast. Raising kids is a most important job and one that earns great rewards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aunt Kathy! Yes, I am trying my best, ha.

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday, Sarah! I found your blog through Monica (she commented on FB). You look amazing. Can't wait to read more of what you write!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Naomi! You're so sweet. I'm so glad you found me. Hope you are doing well. So good to hear from you!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete